Tusculum: The Home

Tusculum was home to three white families between the 1750s and the 1960s. The first owners were the Crawfords (discussed in the Household section). When the patriarch, William Sydney, died in 1815, the estate reverted to his wife, Sophia Penn. The administrator of the estate was Elijah Fletcher (Maria Antoinette Crawford's husband). He managed the plantation until his mother-in-law's death, at which point he inherited it. By the 1850s his son, Sidney Fletcher, was farming the property. Although trained as a medical doctor, Sidney prefered farming and remained at Tusculum until his death in 1898.

During both periods, the household included African Americans. Enslaved during the antebellum period, several individuals remained at Tusculum after emancipation and continued to work for Sidney Fletcher. Research is underway to learn more about the black families that lived and worked at Tusculum.

In the 20th century, the Williams family inherited the home from Sidney Fletcher. The patriarch, John Jay Williams, was related to Elijah Fletcher's sister Lucy who married a Williams. Members of the family lived in the home until 1988. Shortly thereafter Mr. Clarence "Bud" Edwards bought the house. Evidence suggests that he is a descendent of one of the African American women who worked as a servant at Tusculum in the 1880s and 1890s.

To read more about 19th century life at Tusculum, visit the Lynch's Ferry website for information in an recent article by Christian Carr.

The Tusculum Household

In the 1810s, Tusculum was home to William S. Crawford and several of his children. In addition, several dozen African Americans were held in bondage at the farm, working in the home and in the fields.

The Williams family and friends, horsing around inside Tusculum.